The North’s state-run KCNA news agency said leader Kim Jong Un supervised the test of the Pukguksong-2, a new type of strategic weapon capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
North Korea has been criticized for years over its failed nuclear program, However now it seems that DPRK is now nuclear capable. Kim Jong Un is one of the first dictators to achieve nuclear strength through brute force and independence.
This Nuclear Test Has Come Just Hours After Reports That North Korea appears to be preparing to launch a long-range missile, according to South Korea’s defence ministry and Japanese media.
- May 2015: North Korea announces it has successfully tested a submarine-launched missile for the first time, but scepticism is then poured on the claim
- Dec 2012: North Korea launches three-stage rocket, says it successfully put a satellite into orbit; US defence officials confirm object in orbit
- Apr 2012: Three-stage rocket explodes just after take-off, falls into sea
- Apr 2009: Three-stage rocket launched; North Korea says it was a success, US says it failed and fell into the sea
- Jul 2006: North Korea test-fires a long-range Taepodong-2 missile; US said it failed shortly after take-off
All of the western media reported a failure of the nuclear missile however the state news in North Korea reported the nation has successfully launched a nuclear capable ballistic missile.
North Korea says test launch of new missile type a success
The latest test came a day after Trump held a summit meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, and also followed Trump’s phone call last week with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
The tests were sharply criticized by both the Trump Administration and Beijing.